5 Tips to Transform Your Master Suite into a Home Retreat
A restful, well designed master suite can have a huge impact on the quality of your relationship – creating a private retreat from the world that celebrates who you are together and keeps you focused on the values you both share.
When planning for your dream master suite, these 5 tips from Arciform owner and senior designer Anne De Wolf can help you frame your goals and ensure you end up with a space that is both restful and rejuvenating for the relationship at the heart of your home:
1. Consider the view: What do you want to fall asleep to at night and wake up to in the morning? Is there a work of art or photograph that brings you happy memories or takes you away to a favorite place? A window view of your favorite backyard tree? Arrange your master suite so that the things that inspire you most are right in your line of sight when you are snuggled in bed.
Feng Shui tip: Arrange your bed so that your feet don’t point towards the door. Send your energy towards a great view (as in the picture above) or an inspiring image, whenever possible.
2. What sound scape will make for a more restful retreat? Consider insulating the walls of your master suite to block out household and neighborhood noises. Then add artfully placed speakers and a discreet music system to help set the mood for relaxation or play. But leave the other electronic devices out of your room – TVs, computers, or phones can divert your attention back to the cares of the world. Your bed should be a place of rest or play… not work.
3. Consider romance: Do soft and silky textures make you feel frisky? Do you prefer lighting that creates shadowy drama or playful colors? A favorite robe laid across the bed or a thick and luxurious rug can create an invitation to adventure. And think about mirrors: A surprise peek at an artfully placed reflection can keep the home fires… aflame.
4. What do you wear that you’d love to display? A picture frame can be used to show off favorite jewelry, while a dress form can brighten a corner with a dress you love. Conversely, what do you wear that you’d prefer to keep tucked out of sight? Have a space for undressing that has built in, convenient solutions for gathering laundry and keeping your room clutter-free.
5. What colors will lull you to sleep (or kick-start your day?) A simple tone on tone palette of greys and blues or warm earth tones can soothe the eye and keep the worries of the day from intruding on your private retreat at night. If you find you have trouble sleeping, a restful palette might be for you. By contrast, if you have trouble pulling yourself out of bed in the morning, a palette of light and airy colors might help you get in gear for the day.
A master suite should be as personal and unique as the couple who calls it home. How can Arciform help you transform your bedroom into an at home retreat?
Photos in this post by Photo Art Portraits of Arciform Clients in SW Portland, Forest Park and Mt Tabor.
Ready to turn your master suite into a home retreat? Join us February 18th for a Master Suite Design Workshop to get inspired for your next project. Details and RSVP here.
Explore the Arciform Photo Galleries | All About Arciform | Schedule a Design Consultation